Note from the Editor: It is time for another in our Missed Marketing Opportunities series! We’re highlighting simple tips and options on MHVillage that can dramatically increase the performance of your online advertising. Today we are revisiting an article from the archives on Well Crafted Caption Lines. Caption Lines are available on all Premium and Featured Listings, Showcased Communities and Pro+ accounts.
Our research has revealed that certain manufactured home listings attract far more home buyers than others – often getting as much as three times the number of views as other listings. These high-performing power listings aren’t always the first ones in the list, or the cheapest, or even the fanciest homes. However, they do have some special listing details all in common – and here’s the best part – these details can be added to any home listing – regardless of the home!
The Well Crafted Caption Line
On MHVillage the Caption Line is your first opportunity to tell buyers about your home. When someone does a search they’ll get a list of manufactured homes for sale and rent in their area. The Caption Line is how you draw people in.
Here is a great example taken from a search in Bradenton, FL. The Caption Line is the line of text at the top in gray. In this example it is: Beautiful…Fully Furnished……In Great Gated Community…Pet Friendly….
Caption Lines Are A Great Sales Tool
A well crafted Caption Line can attract the right customers – and weed out the ones who won’t qualify. With just a few words, Caption Lines can showcase a home’s best features, grab people’s attention, and encourage the right buyer to click on your listing and learn more. They do this with specific details that target a particular audience.
Let’s look at some examples of Specific Details and the Audience they are geared toward:
- The kitchen is the most important room in the house for many home shoppers. Give them something to chew on: “Granite Counter Tops and all Stainless Appliances.”
- Home mechanics or wood hobbyists would home in on a potential work room: “Two car garage with separate 50 amp circuit.”
- Many customers need creative financing to purchase. If you are willing to help finance the sale, make sure the shoppers know this: “Owner financing available.”
- Some buyers will only locate in a 55+ or All Family Community, so include that if it applies: “55+ Community” or “All Ages, Family Community” as appropriate.
To compare, here are some examples of poor–performing Caption Lines that we frequently see. Any of these will result in below average traffic to your listing:
- Statements that don’t say anything: “The Best Home” or “Great Kitchen.” (Why is it the best? What makes it great?)
- Statements that repeat information already in the search result: “1972, 2 Bed, 2 Bath Home for Sale.”
- All capital letters and/or excessive punctuation. Usually this is combined with statements that don’t say anything: “THE BEST HOME” or “Great Kitchen!!!!!!!!!”.
One Special Case: What if your home is priced much more higher than that of comparable homes in the area? Listings that appear overpriced in the search results will not be clicked on. In this case, you MUST use the caption line to explain why. Here are a couple of examples:
- “Price includes Co-op Share, Association Fee just $149 / month.”
- “Completely Remodeled 2,300 sq. ft Home with Barrier Free Baths.”
- “Located on a Large Landscaped Corner Lot with Beautiful Views of the Lake.”
Use this space to tell buyers exactly what makes your home special – and more than worth its price!
Creating/Editing Your Caption Line on MHVillage:
The Caption Line is created from the “Listing Caption” text box located under the home’s description when you list/edit a home. Here’s a screen shot of that page:
You can add or change your Caption Line at any time. Here’s how:
- Log into your MHVillage account with your email address and password.
- Click “View/Change/Remove Listings”
- On the right side of your listing listing click the “Edit listing” link.
- Go to the Description page.
- The Listing Caption text box is under the description field. Edit or add the Caption Line and save your changes.
- Remember – you might need to wait a few minutes before checking your search results because your changes may not show up for half an hour.
Note: only Featured and Premium listings have a Caption Line. If you have a Basic listing, consider upgrading to one of the other listing types so you can add a Caption Line.
- When you are editing your listing, go to the Options page.
- Select either “Featured Package” or “Premium Package”
- Save your changes and your Caption Line will appear.
You can also add Caption Lines to Showcased Communities and Pro+ account Sales Centers. If you have questions, or need assistance adding Caption Lines, email us and let us know. We’ll be happy to walk you through it.